The Modern Independent
Through our podcast, we are on a mission to inspire, equip, and empower top independent workers to supercharge their careers and build more balanced lives. Each week, our co-hosts Sam Lee (IndeCollective, Founder & CEO) and Jan Almasy (IndeCollective alumni and agency leader) interview seven and eight-figure independent business builders, spotlighting their actionable playbooks and lessons learned, so that our listeners can fast path to greater financial freedom, flexibility, and fulfillment through their independent work.
Welcome to The Modern Independent
with Sam Lee & Jan Almasy
Through The Modern Independent Podcast, we aim to inspire, equip, and empower top independent workers to supercharge their careers and build more balanced lives. Each week, our co-hosts Sam Lee (IndeCollective, Founder & CEO) and Jan Almasy (IndeCollective alumni and agency leader) interview seven and eight-figure independent business builders, spotlighting their actionable playbooks and lessons learned, so that you can fast path to greater financial freedom, flexibility, and fulfillment through your independent work.
Building Your Personal Brand
with Cat Coffrin
In this week's episode, we’re speaking with IndeCollective alumni and Expert Guide Cat Coffrin, a strategic consultant who helps leaders and businesses elevate their brand strategy in a way that is authentic, ownable, and differentiated, so they can connect with target audiences in an impactful and meaningful way. In this episode, Cat shares:
● Why personal branding is something that is mission-critical for everyone—not just thought leaders.
● The key building blocks of an effective brand.
● Cat's framework for finding your spark and standing out from the crowd.
Growing to Eight Figures, While Balancing Lifestyle & Loving
with Mark Rickmeier
In this week’s episode, we spoke with IndeCollective Expert Guide Mark Rickmeier, who over the course of 10 years has not only built a leading custom software development agency at Table XI, but also prioritized the passion projects and personal pursuits that have made for an incredibly fulfilling life. In this episode Mark shares his:
● His four-part success and fulfillment formula.
● How he’s leveraged a laser focus on four key questions to grow his agency to 60+ employees and $14M+ in revenue.
● How he’s balanced his professional life as the CEO of Table XI with passion projects and spending time with his family.
Achieving Success Without Stress: How to Build Your Business Mindfully
with Catherine Zack
In this week's episode, we're speaking with IndeCollective alumni and Expert Guide Catherine Zack, a corporate-litigator-turned-mindfulness-and-meditation-coach, who has not only productized and scaled her own mindfulness business, but now helps other independent businesses to achieve their own success without stress. In this episode, Catherine covers:
● Her transition from big law to meditation and yoga, and how she balanced the start of her independent journey
● The art of self-awareness, and how to keep a growth mindset
● Why it’s important to be aware of the seasons in life and their purpose
How a Leading Executive Coach has Scaled Her Practice
with Cathy Ach
This week’s episode, we were joined by Cathy Ach—an executive coach and strategy consultant with more than 40 years of experience helping leaders and their companies to grow. Listen as Cathy shares:
● Her journey toward independence, how she flexed from full-time to part-time, and ways she was able to balance family and work.
● How she has evolved her business from a solo practice to an agency and now, a collective.
● Key inflection points in her journey, and the things that have contributed to her growth and fulfillment over the last four decades.
Overcoming Imposter Syndrome to Double Your Income
with Miles Anthony Smith
In this week's episode, we spoke with Miles Anthony Smith—a keynote speaker, author, and technology leader who helps organizations generate and nurture leads with advanced SEO and inbound marketing strategies. Within 6 months of going independent, Miles was able to pair his expertise with a sales methodology and process he learned through IndeCollective to double his income (vs. full-time employment) and build a predictable pipeline for the year ahead. Listen as Miles as he shares:
● Why it's important not to sweat the small stuff—even if you’re a detail-oriented person.
● How you can tackle imposter syndrome—replacing your limiting beliefs with more empowering ones.
● How you can build your predictable pipeline of ideal clients—ones that will allow you to do the work you love (rather than always be selling).
Get updates with our Newsletter
Receive highlights of our best articles and podcast episodes straight to your inbox so you can continue learning directly from some of the world's top independent workers.